This year we actually planted a garden!! It feels so good, especially since we cleared out the area and spent months planning things out. Last year we didn't really have an area ready for a garden, and ended up putting in a few pumpkin, zucchini and cucumber seeds in June. Well, summer Texas suns (all three of them ;) don't shine too favorably on young plants, and we just ended up with a handful of zucchini.
This is what the yard corner looked like a few months after we moved in:
Can you see the lovely stone dividers? You can't?? Look harder. Just kidding. You probably can't even see the tree stumps left there by who knows whom. You can see about four monstrous bushes of Hot Lips Mexican Sage, a pear tree, a columbine plant, and horrendous mounds of weeds on our grass.
A year and several hours and Saturdays later:
Yes, the grass doesn't look as green. Unfortunately, we think the weeds killed a lot of it. In actuality, this picture was taken in very early March, which is at the beginning of spring. The grass will get better. Anyhow, this picture shows the exact same yard corner, right before we planted. Can't you just see the onions and peas and green beans and carrots and beets and pumpkins? Summer squash and zucchini will be planted in another few weeks, after we harvest the peas and green beans. Actually, I should post a more current picture, now that you can see most of that. Sadly, we have too many weeds, so you'll just have to wait.
On an unrelated, but humorous note...
Seth loves his baths. He doesn't sit still very often, and after his baths are no exception. The only times he sits still are when he is drinking his milk, when he is asleep, or when he is concentrating on how something works.
"Is there hope for him? Will he lead a normal life??"
"NO! He'll be an engineer." (See this link.)
10 comments:
Wow, that corner of your yard has made an amazing transformation! It looks quite lovely now! I love the picture of Seth concentrating! He is soooo cute!
Your garden plot looks awesome! Way to go! I hope it is very productive for you this summer.
Wow--your garden area looks great!
Your yard looks great! I am going to seriously attempt gardening...as soon as I know we will be staying in one place for a while. Great job!
Sounds like Seth is a boy!
Lucky you to have a place for a garden. We were looking forward to having something besides a patio garden when Jordan graduated but moving to California (actually home prices here) killed that! This year we are doing a patio garden again, only this time our patio is larger. We'll take it!
Yummm Fresh Vegetables!
Love the garden space, Happy Growing!
Beautiful! Can't wait to see the mid-summer post with vines and leaves and veggies all over the place. :)
Your grass is just fine, I promise. I thought the same thing after we got all of our weeds out, but by July it will be lush and gorgeous and so happy to not be choked by weeds any more. That greenness in winter is not grass! (At least, if you have Bermuda). Okay, I'll step down from the bossy big sister soap box now.
Seth is so cute!! I love those pictures of him, and I love how you PS'ed them.
Sure enjoyed seeing the progress you and Daniel have made to your backyard. It was exciting to see the germinated seeds popping up. Good job to you for having a garden! Loved the pictures of Seth too. He is such a sweetheart!
Yowsers, that's a lot of hard work you've done! Unfortunately, if I showed a before and after picture of our backyard, everyone would see how much worse it has become since we moved in!
Seth is really cute. That youtube clip is awesome! With or without "the knack" we sure love the engineers in our lives, don't we?
I love your garden...isn't gardening fun? I just planted some things on Saturday, and it makes me so happy. Regardless of how crazy life feels, planting something makes me feel better.
Post a Comment