Sorry it's taken me so long to get these pictures up. The project was naturally a bit more than I had originally envisioned. Yes, we decided at the last minute to use primer, then we went to the store to get ceiling paint, but didn't buy primer because we thought we had enough. As we started to prime, we realized we didn't have enough.
Backing up a bit, ever since I saw the molding, I wanted to replace it. The more we lived in this house, the more I realized that I really didn't like the colors chosen. The paint job isn't that great either. Look closely at the "Before the primer" picture. Can you see the orange paint behind the current color? If you look at where the molding was, you can also see the two other colors that adorned the wall prior to the picture green/gray/brown. Daniel even found some old wallpaper that had been on one of the walls, at least.
So, we decided we needed to prime it, so that we wouldn't still have the orange paint showing through. We primed the walls, then painted the ceiling white. (About a month ago I looked up and realized that the ceiling wasn't white! It was a lighter shade of what was on the top part of the wall.
Then we took a break for lunch. We ate chicken salad sandwiches that had grapes and celery and chile lime peanuts and onions added into the mixture. Oh, yum! Then my sweet sister Michelle--who drove all the way down from Arkansas to help me--and I painted the top part of the wall blue and the bottom part green.
That evening, after seeing Tale of Depereaux, Daniel came and helped us touch up, then paint the trim around the doors, the window sill, the base boards, and yes, even the inside of the actual door! The next day we put up the molding.
I LOVE how it looks! I love that you can see blue in the blue color we chose and green in the green color. Maybe that sounds funny. I just wanted to be sure there was enough color, and that it was bright, but not too bright. I was going for the sky and the grass and the "woods" in between.
What do you think? Oh, and I would really love to hear some decorating ideas. I'm planning on putting in vinyl clouds on the blue, but close to the ceiling. What kind of curtains should I do for the window? How else should I decorate the room (kid's, not just boy)? (Whoa! I'm not announcing anything, I'm just saying that I want it to look like a kid's room, not necessarily a boy's room. [Note the apostrophes.]) Please, please, please share whatever thoughts you have.
14 comments:
LOVE the painting. Rose thinks clouds are a good idea. What about flowers or trees? It looks like a completely different room. I bet Seth loves it! Great job you guys!!!!
Wow! Looks awesome. I really like the way it turned out. Maybe you could paint a tree directly onto the wall and have a swing painted in it. I'll forward a picture of a home I just went through and the tree painted directly on the wall in their daughters' bedroom. That was so nice of the Bakers to go down and help you--Michelle with the painting and the boys with Seth. Good job!!
I LOVE the colors. They are perfect for a boy or girl room. It makes me want to paint.
You guys did a great job! The colors look so good together. I can't wait to have a house I can paint.
Isn't it fun to make a house your home! That is one thing I miss about our condo in Utah... we had made it ours by painting. Amazing what a little paint can do to a room!
Wow! Great job:-) I'll have to get advice from you when we finally get around to painting our place! Your colors really lightened up the room.
This reminds me of painting with you when we were younger. Fun memories. I actually chose blue and green for my boys room and we have a leafy, bug border in the middle. I personally love those colors together and I think it is awesome you picked them too. I've struggled with curtain ideas too. Maybe you could do white cloud looking curtains? Or if you could find fabric in the exact color of blue you used? good luck!
We had a room in Idaho painted with farm animals. The images were from a coloring book who's images had been made into transparent copies and then projected up onto the wall with an image projecter (hope that made sense). Then just "paint-by-number" so to speak. Very cute! We put up denim curtains that Wal-mart carries. They are an excellent compliment color to the scheme and the heavy denim blocks all the light that lingers into the night during the summer months. Please post again after your next phase of this project is complete.
Caroline did the twins room like this....so cute! She painted clouds in the sky. She even painted some shapes in the clouds - like rockets, puppies, etc... They don't have a window in their room, but I think the denim curtains suggested by Jean sound very cute.
Wish I had some great decorating ideas, but I don't :-). Just wanted to say that it looks really good. I love those colors. Lashelle
I don't have any wonderful decorating advice, because, well, I'm terrible at it. All the walls in my house are still white and we've lived here for 6 years. I wish I had a great eye for things like that. You definitly seem too. Those colors look wonderful together. I can't wait to see what else you decide to do!
It's gorgeous! I love it!
Even though I saw there were already 12 comments here, I feel special being able to make it 13 for my sister born on the 13th!
I love how bold these colors are! Seth is lucky to have these pretty colors to wake up to every morning! I can't wait to see it with the clouds too. Let me know what you decide decorating-wise, or if you still want ideas. I can imagine a large beautiful tree painted in one corner of the room, maybe with a tire swing or a tree house.
How funny. I just read that Mom suggested the same tree idea--great minds, right? :)
I guess I'm making it 14 now. Hope you don't mind ;)
Post a Comment