Saturday, February 14, 2009

<3

"True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well-being of one's companion."
--Gordon B. Hinckley

I don't really remember having a disappointing or depressing Valentine's day.  Traditionally, my mother always made an effort to make the holiday special.  Sometimes it was pink milk.  Sometimes it was making our beds and putting chocolates on the pillows.  Sometimes it was hanging up special Valentine's pictures on our bedroom doors.  I loved the day when we came home from school and Mom said that we could hang up those pictures.  Sometimes we even left them up until we switched them for St. Patrick's day pictures.  I always felt loved.

Until my Grandma McCleve died, she sent every grandchild a valentine each year.  The last few years, when she had Alzheimer's, her daughters helped make the valentines.  I clearly remember her handwriting and the carefully chosen stickers or pictures lovingly placed on a red heart.  Just for me!  That always made me feel special.

Daniel and I started holding hands the weekend before Valentine's day.  We were officially dating!  That made our Valentine's date extra special.  We had a picnic on an elevator, then he sang a song with his group of four, dedicating it to me.  (The four also sang to the other boys' significant others, three of whom--including me--became the spouses.  Hmmm...)  Having so much admiration and adoration for a man who is so good and very smart, talented, patient, considerate, handsome, and having some of those feelings reciprocated was unbelievably heavenly.  I felt very loved.

This week I watched what has to be one of the most romantic movies I have ever seen.  Some could easily disagree, but it deeply moved me.  How charming to be caught up in the situation surrounding two people "falling" in love.  But, how comforting and fulfilling to turn off the movie player and to resume a life where I each day am still "falling" in love.  The little things that make our friendship/relationship grow just build on top of each other, deepening the love that we found a few years ago.

Don't misunderstand me.  I love watching such movies that remind me of the romance I have in life.  But, I always wondered what happened after the couple got married and how that romance continued.  How wonderful to turn around and live that romantic continuation.  Yes, sometimes it means doing the dishes and sweeping the kitchen so that my darling honey can watch his classes.  Usually he thanks me with a smooch. 

<3 

5 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Happy Valentine's Beckers! Love ya! And what movie were you watching?

llamitanan said...

What a nice post! Good insights! Sure hope y'all had a Happy Valentine's Day! I love you Texas Wildings!

Becky said...

North and South

Michelle said...

Sweet, Becky! I love that you have your Hunny, and you guys are so sappy together. :)

P.S. North and South is so awesome!

Mandy said...

I loved reading your Valentine's Day reminiscences, Becky. Happy I am to read of your love for your darling honey.

Hey Becky this is Tapa now. Thanks for that fundamentally and doctrinally sound post about love, romance and marriage. I was actually in a conversation today with some of my classmates about having kids, and one of them brought up the high divorce rate that exists in our culture. I proceeded to ask them why did they think that the divorce rate is so high. I then answered my own question and told them that it was because of selfishness, pride and the unwillingness to apologize (paraphrasing some of President Hinckley's comments on the matter). Then one of them asked, well what if you just "fall out of love"? I was looking in my mind for the President Hinckley qoute that you preceded you post with, or some words with similar meaning. But before I could put it all together and say it the conversation had moved on. If I had only had that quote memorized I think it would have been very effective. Well thanks for posting this good post, can't wait to see you guys.
--The Tapa-chu