Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Have a Perfect Present

2011_11, live_in_thanksgiving_daily So, I am one of those people who starts buying Christmas presents way early in advance--partially because I like to be prepared and ready (too many Christmas Eves in my youth were spent feverishly finishing gifts), but mainly because I LOVE choosing and buying Christmas presents.

pic01There is something about finding the PERFECT thing for someone that he will just love to receive.  And the anticipation of the smile and glow on the person's face is so marvelous.

This year has been no exception.  In fact, this year is even more exciting now that there are THREE little ones for whom to inspire the magic.  I have been collecting ideas and gifts for months and am close to being finished.

Today, though, I stopped for a bit.  I started thinking beyond the things.  I started thinking about the REAL-ness.pic02

This change of direction may seem like a stereotypical Grinch-Who-Stole-Christmas-But-Learned-to-Give-Back-Instead moment, but the consequences of my moment today are a bit more selfish.  I started thinking about the real-ness today.  Of my thoughts and actions today.  Instead of rushing to the computer when I had a moment to search for Christmas presents, I thought about who I am.  This reflection better prepares me for opening my arms in the pic03action of Living in Thanksgiving Daily.

I guess that I opened my eyes today in a way that I didn't think I needed to.  And I saw me.  I can give so much.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I like to shop ahead too and am basically finished. Makes the holidays so much more enjoyable!

Your cuties are getting so big! They are beautiful.

I love Elder Worthlin. Thanks for sharing how you are living in Thanksgiving daily. It is inspiring.