Playing the piano for Primary is one of my favorite callings. I hear talks and lessons about the simple truths of the gospel. I play and hear music, which songs are also lessons and prayers. And I get to sit behind the piano and watch and listen to the amazingly cute things that Primary children say. Today I want to share a smattering of the cuteness I've witnessed among the learning of important lessons.
***
Leader: Can someone explain what water polo is?
Child: It's like Marco Polo, except in the water.
***
Leader: Does Heavenly Father say to pray just on Thursdays?
Child: NO! FIVE days a week.
***
The music leader was teaching the Primary children a song, using a poster with words and pictures. They took away a picture to help the children memorize the song. The leader then asked, pointing to the place where the picture had just been, "What are the words here?"
The children accurately replied, "Nothing!"
***
The theme for the sharing time was preparing for the Sabbath, so the Primary presidency leader was teaching the children the song, "Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday..." She had different objects to do with the song in different bags with letters that spelled out the word, "Saturday." As the children came up to choose the objects from the bags, she usually said, "How do you spell Saturday?" to prompt the children to choose the next letter. One child took her up on her question and began shouting, "S-A-T-E-R-..."
***
During that same sharing time, just after we had learned the special Saturday song, the presidency leader asked the children, "Why is that song important?"
Came one of the responses: "So we can have more fun after church!"
***
Leader: What can we do to follow Jesus?
Child: Love one another.
Another child: Love your pets.
***
Child: I'm thankful for color because way before we had paints if we wanted to play, it looked pretty boring.
***
One leader, in trying to get the children to all listen, started doing things, like touching her nose, and saying, "Touch your nose if you can hear me." One child actually responded with, "I can't hear you 'cause you're whispering."
***
Another leader was telling a story about a girl who had some money that she wanted to use to buy some things for others. She emphasized the amount of money with, "She had $30."
One boy in the back countered with, "I used to have $30, but then I gave $3 to the Bishop for tithing."
***
Leader: Do you know where Jesus was born?
Child: Yes. He was born on a farm.
Seriously, I love being with the children. They remind me to have faith, a simple faith. They also remind me that it's okay to believe. It's fun to smile at what they say, but I remember that they teach me so much. I am grateful for my calling.
Many happy returns!
9 comments:
Becky, you make me laugh! And so do the Primary kids. I am blessed to be in Primary too, and I love it! And I have to tell you my favorites...these were from our last ward. The leader was asking why Heavenly Father sent us to this earth...the answer (from a 6-year-old), "Because it has gravity." A few weeks later, her brother was praying, and he gave a very sincere prayer, but then, he said, "And bless that we will all become grown ups." They just make me smile! Have a wonderful week!
-brianna
What other callings do you have?
I have a feeling you will be very good at recording funny things little Seth says. Thanks for the laughs. Cute kids!
I love the Primary too! I helped Kenton give a talk in Primary the other day and I wish I could be in there every Sunday! Kids are so much fun!
That is so cute! I hope you shared those things with the kids' parents, I am sure they would really get a kick out of it too! I love being in Primary too! I actually have my very favorite calling right now as the Primary chorister. Primary music is so dear to my heart as are all the sweet special spirits that I get to teach. It is so much fun being with them!
I just got the bookmark in the mail last week, thank you! You're so sweet to remember!
How fun to be in Primary! I thought you were released as Primary pianist when you were called as Visiting Teaching Leader. Good job on all the service you give to the Church, your immediate family and all of us.
Thanks for starting my day out right. These just cracked me up. I am in Primary right now as well. I just love the funny things kids say. Lashelle
So fun! Made me laugh out loud.
You gave me a great idea of what to do when I'm waiting for the next time I play. . .
Isn't primary the BEST. You seem to be primary pianist everywhere you go!
Post a Comment