Friday, May 23, 2008

Butterfly in the sky!

Reading seems to have come alive again for me. Daniel and I read together almost every night, and I really look forward to that time. Also, it seems like I go to the library at least every other week to check out a new pile of books for me to read. I am in the middle of several series, and I am trying to read some of the Newbery Award and Honor books. I am even thinking about reading more serious books...





Okay, here's the deal. I really want to know what you all are reading, so we are going to have a little blog contest. Honestly, I am not sure how it will compare to your local library summer reading program (which I encourage you all to participate in, anyhow), but it will be fun. In the comments section, leave a comment telling me about your favorite book that you've read recently. Just pick ONE! Give a little review, telling me about characterization and symbolism, or just general reactions. No need to wax long--I just want to know what your interpretation of a "good book" is. Anyone can participate. Then, at 3pm next Saturday, May 31st, Seth--my cute assistant--will select a name from those participating, and we will send you a book and a personalized bookmark as the prize! Maybe we will even do a couple of runners-up bookmarks. :)

I know you all are thinking, the English teacher is going through withdrawals. Maybe that's true, but I am very curious as to what you all are reading and enjoying. Literacy ROCKS!!

8 comments:

Katie said...

Becky!

This is your cousin-in-law Katie! I just wanted to let you know that I'd love to participate in the whole reading books, etc. thing, but after I finish the semester and have more time to read. The most recent book I read was about 2 weeks ago: Twilight. I'm sure you've heard about it. It was hard to put down, but once I got through it, I felt that the first book was enough (there are 4 total and the 4th has yet to come out). Anyway, I hope things are going well. Check out my blog anytime! http://newsbykatie.blogspot.com
Love,
Katie

Stephanie Johnson said...

I'm reading the Fablehaven series. They are young adult fantasy and very fun to read! I highly recommend them.

Michelle said...

Wow, a giveaway! You are a trendy blogger. :) It's hard to pick a book, but I'll have to say that "A Room With a View" is one of the most refreshing, fun, satisfying reads ever. I'm also really enjoying "Nicholas Nickleby", but I know Dickens doesn't float everyone's boat.

Karie said...

Well my dear, the book I'm reading is called "China Study". It's all about healthy eating - sound thrilling? I'll be starting another one on Hexagonal Water - wow! We also did summer reading with the library when the children were younger - it's great!

Buttle Family said...

My favorite reading was an easy choice. The title is "Mrs. Brinkerhoff's Class Journal Writing of Jared." The author was Jared Buttle(My son). It is a collection of all his writings for the year. It was so cute and funny. If you would like good reading may I suggest reading the writings of a second grader. They are the best.

Aunt Jen

wildingtex said...

Love the comments - now I can share my recently read book full of symbolism and characterization (ha!): "Chocolate for the Bishop's Wife's Soul" ... just finished it and it was mostly full of input from former Bishop's Wives - made me feel like I'm not alone and all I'm going through is normal. You wow me Becky - Seth is lucky to have such a remarkable mom! Love ya, Mom W

llamitanan said...

Hey, Becky! What a fun activity! I'm reading NEW MOON. As Stephanie Meyer said that she wrote them for entertainment, I like to read them for entertainment. Fun, fun!

Jofus L'Incroyable said...

Two books that I have read recently are The Search for Wallace Whipple and its sequel Do You Like Me, Julie Sloan? by Donald Smurthwaite. These are written from a first person point of view in the form of journal entries. Wallace Whipple is a sixteen-year-old LDS guy living in Portland. He is sort of socially awkward and he wants to be a really great athlete, but does not do that well. He is a person that I can really connect with. Many of the problems and questions and experiences that he has are very similar to what I have had. I find it brilliantly written and excessively entertaining. Sorry if this is too long and I'm sorry for putting this in a day too late, but hopefully you can overlook my tardiness. ;). Thanks, Beaky.