When Daniel and I were married, my Grandpa Bailey came to us and offered us the choice of a certain sum of money or Grandma's china. We chose the china, knowing that the beautiful heirloom would mean more to us, especially as a wedding gift, than the money. He brought in the storage box, and we pulled out a piece or two and marveled at its beauty. To preserve it in its packaging since we lived in student housing, we put the pieces back into the box and taped it up. The box of china has been VERY CAREFULLY transported to our home (student apartment) in Utah, then to our home here in Texas. We found the perfect spot for the box in a corner of our closet that is not easily accessible, hence used.
This past Monday Daniel and I pulled out Grandma's china from the storage box in our closet. We plan to serve and eat Thanksgiving dinner on the special dishes. We thought it best to assess the condition of the dishes. Wow. Over and over again we were awed and impressed by the beauty of the china. Of all of the several pieces, only one had a chip and the others were in PERFECT condition.
Several feelings mix in with the awe and impressions I feel: a love for my Grandma Bailey, who died nearly fifteen years ago, but who lived nearby (we would bike the mile to her house often) during most of my childhood; a careful caution that I need to treat these china dishes with the same care she provided; a humility at that task, living in a home with a sweet and curious toddler; and a deeper understanding of the relationships that I have and hold dear.
My love and friendships with my husband, children, parents, siblings, etc. should be as durable as the dishes we use to eat on every day, but as protected and cared for as the china we have inherited. I shudder to think what would happen to the dishes if I simply throw them back in a cardboard box, but I also wonder at the beauty and value of what I now steward.
What blessings and talents and relationships have we inherited? Are any of them sitting--wrapped up--in a cardboard box in a corner of the closet?
4 comments:
Beautifully said me dear Becky!
I'm so glad you posted this, Becky. I love seeing that china, and seeing you use it.
I'm grateful that we share many memories of those special times with Grandma Bailey! What a legacy we are blessed to be part of!
Love you. :)
What a great thought! How special that China will be to you and your children someday too! Especially after hearing about why this earthly treasure is so treasured!
A beautiful post and beautiful china. Thanks for sharing. It's like you chose a priceless birthright over a mess of pottage.
Post a Comment