Friday, March 13, 2009

and Seven Years

Seven years ago today I walked off an airplane to greet my family, many of whom I had not seen for over eighteen months.  I had lived nearly a year and a half in Ukraine, studying the gospel and the language in the mornings, and teaching and testifying during the days and in the evenings.  Being so immersed in such a labor of love seemed perfection, a happiness that fulfilled my life.

me_with_flag copy

I always wondered what the next few years of my life would hold.  Even in the few months before I returned home, I would wake up in the wee hours of the night and ponder and pray regarding the chunk of life to follow a full-time mission.  I never would have predicted what I have experienced in these last seven years, but I am grateful for knowing and feeling the Lord's hand and His love every step of the way.

I miss the Ukrainian people so dearly.  Why, oh why did I not keep in contact with member and investigator friends in Ukraine?  They taught me of life, and of friendship, and I am so grateful for the experiences I had with them.

My companions!  Friends, teachers = companions.  I had seven companions.  Here is what I learned from each:

Sister Kitley:

  • Enjoy life and appreciate the gospel. 
  • Have fun BEING who you are.

Sister Shuler:

  • Love the people you serve. 
  • Be patient,
  • be willing to sing,
  • don't say Sorry too often,
  • laugh at yourself,
  • serve 110 percent.

Sister Miller:

  • Be who you are and become yourself with patience and love. 
  • Be prompt, straightforward and diligent. 
  • Run, drink lots of water and don't eat sugar. 
  • Speak the language 24/7. 
  • Try new things. 
  • Laugh. 
  • I am beautiful.

Sister Parker:

  • The Spirit is the most important language to attain fluency in. 
  • Remember and retain your mission language. 
  • Take time to play accordions. 
  • Love is eternal.

Sister Potts:

  • Serve till the end. 
  • Members are your most valuable assets. 
  • Happiness is found in service. 
  • Eat Ukrainian ice cream every chance you get. 
  • Appreciate who you are.

Sister Chapman:

  • YOU are the best souvenir you can take home. 
  • Talk to ANYBODY and EVERYBODY. 
  • We do have similarities with other Christians and should view them as our friends. 
  • Accept bags of vegetables.

Sister Rawlings:

  • Leading is about following, but still teaching. 
  • If you prepare, it will be given you in the moment. 
  • Find your similarities and enjoy them (Pirates of Penzance). 
  • Blessings on Christmas day--surprises often make service more fun and more meaningful.

These lists are naturally not all-conclusive.  I love and appreciate each of these women very much for all of their patience and loving teachings and listenings.

In the ward I attended following my mission service, I had the opportunity of being interviewed for a book that has since been published.  That has been only one of endless reflections on my mission experiences.

This week I told someone about mormon.org and gave her a pass along card.  I felt slightly nostalgic of the days when I would approach someone, point to my tag, tell them about the message, and testify of my Savior and His gospel.  I LOVED doing that.

2001 12 Ukraine Kiev Mission bookmark

Truly, I am who I am today because of serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Kyiv, Ukraine.  I am so very grateful for the opportunity to share the gospel all day every day for those years.  I am so very grateful for the gospel.  How blessed I feel to live in these latter days, when the fullness of the gospel has been restored.  As Alma, I would still love to shake my Книга Мормона over the rooftops of all of the old Soviet apartment buildings and tell everyone that it's TRUE!

2009 LIVE copy

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Awesome post, Becky! I absolutely loved it.
What a neat idea for you to recognize the anniversary this way. I remember that day seven years ago so clearly. It was sheer joy to be with my beloved sister again. I loved introducing you to baby Russell, your newest nephew who was already 10 months old. :)

Karie said...

Very sweet Becky! I enjoyed your post so much! For me it was Friday the 13th 29 years ago in June. And now I live in my mission field and it is wonderful! We had the missionaries over for dinner (again) last night and it's always fun to talk with them about the Georgia Atlanta Mission!!!!

TheSandyCastle said...

That was really neat to read Becky - It gets me all excited and looking forward for when I'll leave in the summer. Each of the things your companions taught you are thing I can keep in mind too, wherever I serve. (Except about eating Ukrainian ice cream... that one might not apply. :)

Amy said...

See this post is one of the reasons I wanted to give you the Kreativ Award! Go to my blog to check it out. I still remember you singing "Oh That I Were An Angel". That song has such a wonderful missionary message and you sang it so beautifully. Looks like that feeling carried over to your mission. :)

Katheryn said...

I really love and miss Ukraine too. I wish everyday that I could take a trip with my husband and children and show them the country and people that I fell in love with. One day I will.

You were so wonderful to have as an companion. I probably wasn't the best trainer in the world and since those were the last few months of my mission, I probably thought about home a little too often, but I loved serving with you and I am grateful for the things that you taught me. My mission experience would have been missing something vital and important if I hadn't had you as a companion.

Marla said...

Wow, seven years ago, can you believe how fast the time goes. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't have some sweet memory of being in Ukraine, and you are a part of what makes those memories so sweet. You were an awesome missionary and companion, I feel so blessed to have served with you and learned by your side. Getting to know you there gave me a glimps into the wonderful wife, mommy, member missionary, visiting teacher...etc. you would be. You are awesome! Thanks for being YOU and sharing yourself with the world! It is a better place because you are here.

Mandy said...

Thank you so much for your comments, Beckycita. I love and appreciate you so much too.

Crazy that it's been 7 years already. I loved reading this post and learning about what you learned from each of your companions. It would be cool to see what each of them learned from you as well :)

JenB said...

Congrats on seven great years!

llamitanan said...

Becky, I loved this post. Missions really do have a lasting impact on your life. I'm glad you could see the positive qualities in each of your companions. Sorry for taking so long to comment.