Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Teaching Moments

 

Our sweet friend was at our house the other day.  This picture does not quite accurately depict what was going on.  Our friend was pretending to eat the red toy.  She helped me eat it, then she was helping Seth eat it.  Although the picture may seem otherwise, she was actually being very gentle.  At any rate, Seth thoroughly enjoyed having his friend over to play.

Actually, she had quite an influence on him.  He usually likes me to "walk him" (his hands around my fingers) around the house, but never so much as while his friend was here.  However, his friend moved too fast for Mommy to "walk Seth" around to follow.  Thus began Seth crawling on all fours.  Yup.  This little friend taught Seth how to crawl.  Not army crawl.  REAL crawl.  Except tonight when he knew I would tease him for doing the army crawl, he has only real crawled since our friend was here.  What a sweet little teacher!

It's amazing to me that my little boy is old enough to start imitating me.  The other day I was organizing some books on our book shelf in the front room, when I looked over to check on Seth and he was pulling the piano books off the shelf he can reach.  He has been learning to not pull the piano books off the shelf, so I automatically said, "Ah-ah, Seth!"  He immediately began sitting down, probably because I spoke a little too harshly, then I came to him to talk with him and hug him.  At that instant, I realized that he was just doing exactly what he saw me doing!  No wonder he was pulling the books off the shelf.  He wanted to do what Momma was doing.

 

 

These little episodes have provoked some thought about how I teach my son and my children.  There is so much for them to learn and so much I want to teach them.  Especially the gospel.  I want SO MUCH for him to know and to feel that he is a child of God and that Heavenly Father loves him.  How can I teach him to know and to do what is right?  How can I teach him that Heavenly Father wants him to be happy and that by following His commandments, he will find that happiness?

Please, dear friends, share with me what you have learned to be helpful in teaching your children and loved ones the gospel.  How have YOU taught them that Heavenly Father loves them?  I would love to hear.

 

 

Many happy returns!

8 comments:

Katheryn said...

I think you are doing a wonderful job already. I think that children feel their Heavenly Father's love through the love of their earthly parents. Teaching children the gospel is SO MUCH about teaching by example. If he sees you pray, then he will have a desire to pray. If he sees you read the scriptures, or hears you sing primary songs and hymns, or sees how kindly you treat others around you, he will want to do those things too. So really, just keep being YOU!

LaChelle said...

I was actually talking with my mom about this recently, and she pointed out something that I really thought was wise: Teaching by example is extremely important, and shouldn't be ignored, but it's not the only way we should teach. There are so many principles of the gospel (and other good things) that our children won't pick up on if we just rely on the power of example alone.

For instance, Christ set a completely perfect example, but if we only had his example to follow, and none of the sermons he gave, we'd still be pretty clueless about the gospel.

I think that teaching our children has to include verbally explaining things to them on a daily basis, like you would in a classroom.

llamitanan said...

You and Daniel are doing an awesome job. Continue having Scriptures every day, family prayers morning and night, FHE each week and teach lessons often, always attend your meetings, attend the temple often and "follow the prophet, follow the prophet" and you will be on the right track. Teach your children how to gain their own testimony as soon as possible and then then they want to do what is right because of their love of our Heavenly Father and not just because mom and dad want them to do what is right. Quick thoughts but important ideas. Lucky Seth to have such good parents. Keep up the good work.

Jean said...

Ha! If you and Daniel can't teach your children the gospel ... there's no hope for any of us! ;)

Daily family scriptures and prayer and consistent weekly FHE have been vital for us. We've also been helping Gage and Sunny recognize what the Spirit "feels" like. I think that is VITAL for successful children. Too many of our youth struggle because they've never identified how the Spirit speaks to them. Attending church every week has proven fruitful too. One Christmas we quizzed Gage on Easter is all about. Aced it! Smarty pants. We realized he had internalized a Primary lesson about the very subject down to the stone in front of the tomb and Jesus' body lying for 3 days. We were impressed and felt the importance of committed Primary teachers.

Michelle said...

Every time we show love to our children, we're helping them "remember" the love Heavenly Father has for them. I know they can feel it. Their spirit recognizes it when they feel those same feelings coming from you.
Having the Spirit in our homes is important, too, so avoiding contention and refusing to allow media that could drive away the Spirit keeps that channel of communication open.
The Gruppmann's say that music is like an spiritual umbilical cord to connect us to our Heavenly Parents. The great music of the world and also Church music can be very powerful in helping our children feel Heavenly Father's love.
Thanks for making me think about this! I need to remember to focus on this in my parenting!

snbjork said...

I agree with what everyone else has said. Lead by example. Alton and Evelyn remind me every day that they see everything I do. They hear everything I say. They notice so many things that I don't realize (or want them to) notice! And they notice the good things, too. A couple of months ago we were all at the table for a meal. We reminded Alton that it was time to say the blessing and to fold his arms. Well, to my surprise, I looked over to see 12-month-old Evelyn fold her arms, bow her head and start whispering (like she was saying the prayer)! It taught me a BIG lesson. She had been watching us pray for so many months, she knew what was happening.

I have to say, too, that so much of what I do with my kids (how I discipline, show love, interact) is because of the example of your amazing sister...Michelle, of course. I imagine that you are probably just as wonderful a mother as she is! So, I should probably be taking advice from you! =)

Happy mothering!

summerk said...

Becky, you're an amazing mother, for sure!! Ditto to what everyone has said. Sister Hinckley said that the best thing you can do for a child is to teach them to love Heavenly Father.
Also, I've heard the great idea of teaching our children, at least once a month, in FHE or something, the Plan of Salvation... and their role in it... to keep it fresh in their minds who they are, their purpose, where they want to go, etc... and good choices will hopefully naturally follow.

Mandy said...

1. Example, example, example--remember who you are and that Heavenly Father loves you and act that way--so your children will see your confidence and faith
2. We like to sing Primary songs and hymns with Ari when we do our nightly scripture study
3. The new Nursery manual is an AWESOME reference for FHE lessons for young children
I know you're an amazing mom, Becky. I can tell that you keep your testimony strong and I know that that is the most precious gift you can give to your children.