On November 3rd, my sweet nephew would have turned one year old. We (his family, my parents, Seth and I and others) celebrated that day. We celebrated that Benjamin is a part of our family. We celebrated that we one day--if we are righteous and faithful--will be with him again. We celebrated that he has brought so much love and understanding and joy into our lives. Truly these are things to be celebrated. How appropriate that his birthday is in the fall, almost to prepare us for the celebration of the birth of the baby that brought all of these blessings to us. Indeed, we are loved beyond measure.
The celebrations were primarily two-fold:
We, with several invited others, met at Benjamin's gravesite and wrote notes to him. Then we tied the notes to balloons and sent up the balloons all at the same time. How amazing to sing, "I Am a Child of God" as we watched the balloons sail higher and higher. The peace I felt was palpable.
After the balloons were out of sight, my nephews and others collected leaves to spell out Benjamin's name. Then there was much rejoicing and playing in the leaves. Refreshing and peaceful both describe the pervading atmosphere at that point in the evening.
When it was too dark (and kind of cold) to continue playing, we all came home to the Bakers' house and sang happy birthday and ate a yummy carrot cake.
My sister Michelle (Benjamin's wonderful mom) put together a beautiful presentation of the celebrations there (in Arkansas) and all over the world. Click here to see the presentations and the powerful present she shared for his birthday.
Though it seems trite, the weekend experience, somewhat of a climactic celebration of the year since we first saw Benjamin, who departed this life mere hours before his birth, could be summed up into one word: meaningful. Meaningful because through the heartache and questions felt, I have had to ask myself what I believe and what I value. Meaningful because through the asking I have more poignantly realized my testimony of the Savior's Atonement. Meaningful because the Atonement affects meaning in our lives. What do I hold most dear? My sweet husband, my little son, and my many and wonderful family members, with whom I truly can live in joy, now and eternally. Some of those family members have already left this life, doing amazing things in the next. But I still get to live with them eternally.
It is similar to what I felt just following the birth of my son Seth. I better understood the plan of salvation, not because I learned a new facet or perspective, but because I more forcibly felt it. There is meaning in my life, reasons why I love to be alive. I am grateful for the "life" given me by this sweet son of the Bakers and the life and eternal life given my by Jesus Christ, the Son of God. He lives, my mansion to prepare; He lives, to bring me safely there! (Hymn 136)
Many happy returns!
5 comments:
Becky, that post got me all choked up. What a strong little spirit Benjamin must be. Isn't it amazing how, with the knowledge of the gospel, experiencing the death of a loved one (even an untimely death) can bring so many blessings of understanding, love, and gratitude? Amazing. Thank you for such an inspiring post. Love you.
You are such a beautiful person who has such a beautiful testimony of our Savior. Thank you so much for sharing that. Our Heavenly Father's plan is so perfect in every way.
What a sweet post. Very well put.
What a beautiful post! You worded it so nicely and I like the pictures too. It really was "meaningful!"
Thank you so much, Becky, for taking the time to create this beautiful post. I'm so glad you could be here for Benjamin's birth so that you have real memories of him. It was wonderful to have you here again to celebrate his birthday. I know it was a sacrifice to come, and it meant the world to me!
I love you!
~Michelle
Post a Comment