Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Who was YOUR seventh grade English teacher?

Two of my beautiful and talented sisters-in-law recently accepted teaching  jobs, one as a math teacher in Utah and one as a choir teacher in North Carolina.  I am incredibly excited for them, and my thoughts have turned back toward my teaching years.  Yes, in a previous "chapter" in my life I taught English.  One year to seventh graders at a middle school, and three years to juniors at a high school.  The high school portion also included advising a service group and teaching some Humanities.  I LOVED teaching.

 

2003 10 Becky as a senior at BYU, tchg at Payson Middle School

my "school picture" as a seventh grade teacher

 

One aspect of teaching that has stayed with me, as evidenced by my sleep last night, is the teaching dreams.  I think every one that has ever taught, even in other capacities besides professional or career faculties, has had a teaching dream.  You know the kind when you show up for the first day of school and it was the week before and you've missed the entire first week?  Or you're two hours late and you look down and you're in your pajamas?  Or you're prepared to teach your class and you look into their faces and find a room full of three-year-olds instead of high school juniors?  Such are teaching dreams.

Last night I had the teaching dream that I took a job again as a teacher, but one of my most admired teachers from the high school that I attended was my substitute the first couple of days.  I walked in during one of his classes, and he did not think I was that great even though I was telling the students how awesome he was.  That's it.  Any analysis?

I think that one of my favorite aspects of teaching was the interaction with the students.  So many amazing people passed through the halls of those schools.  They taught me so much, and we had a unique friendship (except for the ones whose lives I emotionally scarred...but I digress). 

On a family vacation a few years ago, I attended another of my beautiful and talented sisters-in-law's home ward and as I turned the corner faced one of my former students as a missionary serving there!  So cool.  A special opportunity to interact with the student in such a different capacity and see him further down in his life that way.

 

 

Sometimes I wonder about this student or that student.  I really enjoyed being a teacher and am SO excited for Amanda and Heather and their awesome experiences that they are jumping into.  Congrats, girls!!

Grammar dance, anyone??

1 comment:

llamitanan said...

What wonderful teachers! How lucky for students to have such caring, prepared ladies to serve them! I'm sure you made a lasting impression on your students. I sure enjoyed this post!